Learn to ride

Motorcycle training in North Wales

North Wales is one of the most beautiful places to enjoy the freedom a motorcycle offers. There are plenty of local motorcycle training schools who can help with CBT, full licence and advanced riding techniques including:

  • DR43, Dave Rollitt, Mochdre
    • 07960 619204
    • info@dr43motorcycletraining.co.uk
  • FBSABC, Rhyl
    • 01745 354250
    • enquiries@bikeschool.co.uk
  • Belt up Rider Training, Barry Dunn, Rhyl
    • 01745 350354
    • barry@belt-updrivertraining.com
  • Probike, Deeside
  • Anglesey Motorcycle Training, Neil Broughton, Anglesey
    • 07702 889194
  • Rider Training Bangor, Dave Gross, Bangor
    • 07966 417796
    • david.gross@tiscali.co.uk
    • ridertrainingbangor.co.uk
  • BikeSafe/ScooterSafe, Colwyn Bay
    • 01492 804155
    • psdbikesafe@nthwales.pnn.police.uk
  • North Wales Advanced Motorcyclists
    • 0844 4142389
    • secretary@nwam.org.uk

What you can ride and when

With road tax from just £17 and low running costs there are plenty of reasons to start your motorcycling journey. Outlined below are the categories of licence and a brief description of what the respective licence entitles you to:

Compulsory Basic Training

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) is a legal requirement for all provisional motorcycle licence holders. The CBT entitles the holder to ride up to a 125cc motorcycle or scooter with L plates for 2 years. If you passed your car licence pre-1st February 2001 you are already entitled to ride a moped without L plates and without completing a CBT. Once the CBT expires it can be renewed again or alternatively a full Licence, of which there are three types, can be gained:

AM Licence

From 16 year’s old you can ride mopeds up to 50cc but not exceeding 28mph.

A1 Licence

At 17 you can take the A1 motorcycle test (after taking your CBT and passing the theory test) on a machine of at least 120cc and not more than 125cc with a power output not exceeding 11kw (14.6 bhp). This will mean you can then ride a 125cc machine without L plates and carry passengers.

A2 Licence

At 19 you will be able to take the A2 motorcycle test (after 2 years as a full A1 licence holder or a provisional licence holder after taking your CBT and passing the theory test) on a machine of at least 395cc with a power output not exceeding 35kw (46.6 bhp) and power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2W/kg. This allows you to ride a machine up to 46.6 bhp without L plates and to carry passengers.

A licence

  • Option 1 If you have held an A2 licence for 2 years you can now take your category A test on a machine of at least 599cc with a power output of 40kw, which will then allow you to ride any capacity of machine.
  • Option 2  At the age of 24 you can take your direct access (after taking your CBT and passing your theory test) on a machine of at least 599cc with a power output of 40kw allowing you to ride a machine of any capacity.

If you are looking for any further information, there are more details about getting on two wheels on the Get On website. In addition, there are clear guidelines about taking your motorcycle test on the Direct Gov website.